Sunday, July 31, 2011

Lowes is at it again


The above pictures illustrates a classic error. The species of milkweed in the picture is Mexican Milikweed (Asclepias curassavica) a naturalized exotic that grows in Florida. It is considered an invasive by many as it reproduces in areas where native milkweeds are pushed out by its growth. It can grow in a variety of environments from wetlands to dry prarie. The tag on these says Asclepias tuberosa and Butterflyweed. It is also being sold at a much higher price than Mexican Milkweed goes for, usually $3.50 a pot. This is the second time in a month I have seen this mistake at a Lowes. Of course the Nursery Manager gives me that "deer in the headlights" when I try to explain the differences to him and that he is actually selling a noxious weed under the guise of a native plant. As usual the only thing of concern is moving product and making profit. I confess, I do buy things from Lowes and Home Depot, but I avoid any plant purchased like the plague. Any milkweed is better than no milkweed, the shortage of native milkweeds and their limited cultivation makes Mexican Milkweed an attractive alternative, but keep it under control in the yard. Try to clip seed pods before they ripen and spread seeds all over the neighborhood. The Monarchs will appreciate it just as well as a native but dont pay double the price based on an incorrect label.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the information. I am a passionate butterfly gardener, although in the beginning stages. I have this variety growing, and Silky Gold (not sure what variety of Milkweed). I am going to grow several Florida milkweeds for the monarchs that pass through on a regular basis. I just want to do what is right for the Florida environment. I had no idea that Mexican milkweed was an invasive species. I have just been ecstatic to receive the monarch visitations thbis year.

    I am having a problem with yellow aphid like bugs. I use no poisen whatsoever and am wondering if there are othr milkweeds more resistant to aphids? I will be watching your blog, as I have learned so much in just one post. Check out my novice butterfy observations on my blog at ocalagardening.blogspot.com. I am not selling anything, just learning through hands- on cultivation and observation. I am raising Monarchs just to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I am Monarch waystation 6204. Let me know how I can cultivate for Monarchs with Florida native milkweeds. I am in Ocala.

      Delete

Encyclia tampensis

Encyclia tampensis
Native Butterfly Orchid

Ephidrum Orchid

Ephidrum Orchid